add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I upgrade my i5 4690?

Arenox

42 months ago

Hey guys I'm new and I hope to get some help here. I currently use an i5 4690 (non-k) in my gaming system and I plan to make an upgrade... but I'm not really sure if thats worth it.

Currently I can play every game I own in 1920x1200 on highest settings.. But what about playing in 1440p or VR and/or upgrading to GTX 1070/80? Is this CPU capable of handeling all that and will it be enough for the next few years or should I upgrade to an overclockable Processor such as i5 4670k/90k, i7 4790k or even Skylake?

Does anyone have experience with that and can help me make a decicion?

Many thanks in advance, Tobi

My whole system:

Intel Core i5 4690

MSI B85M Gaming

Zotac Geforce GTX 970

8 GB DDR3 - 1600 Mhz

SSD - coming soon!

1TB Samsung HDD

Corsair CX 500 - I know it's ****** :(

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

i have the 4690k @ 4.3ghz and I had a 970 ssc acx2.0+. I just upgraded to a msi 1080 gaming. The difference in FPS is huge but I haven't noticed anything I've been playing being bottlenecked by the CPU. I'd say don't upgrade since it's not going to hurt anything you play for a while.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Once you have an i5 the difference you see in games will come from the GPU not the CPU

My advice would be to get the best graphics card you can afford and keep the i5 as that will be the biggest factor on the FPS you get at different resolutions.

A better CPU may help a small amount in certain games but probably not enough and not often enough to make it worth your while

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

If you plan on upgrading your processor now then you should probably invest in a Skylake (6th gen) processor.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Your 4690 will be more than enough for just about anything you throw at it. It should last you for several more years too.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you're CPU is fine; for VR / higher resolution I'd go with a newer video card.

I really don't think your CPU is a factor for gaming activities right now. That is a pretty modern and nice CPU.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

That i5 will hold you out for another 3yrs at least. At 60frames the 970 can hold most new games at medium-high. I would suggest a SSD as the next upgrade then a better PSU followed by a GPU upgrade to move onto 1440p.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey guys, thanks for all your replys.. I'll keep my 4690 and get a better graphics card to have enough headroom for upcoming games and 1440p/VR. And a better powersupply as well!

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube