add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Brexit vote over. Britain leaves. David Cameron resigns.

tiny_voices

43 months ago

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-06-24/david-cameron-to-resign-as-prime-minister-after-eu-referendum/

He seems destroyed. Very sad for him.

I don't have an opinion one way vs another on the issue as a whole, but its sad to see how destroyed he is.

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 9 points

Its a f** joke. Ashamed to live here tbh. Problem with this vote was there was no facts properly discussed, just soundbites thrown around. £350 million per week on leave bus. Sure if you do not count the money we get back from the EU, but is a nice tagline. Another thing that annoys me is how older voters so 65+ voted out majority (62%) while younger people voted in majority (73% backed remain). We will be living with what that generation left us. Of course there cushy with their triple lock pension schemes.

When I hear comments like "I voted leave for fun thinking they would lose so did it for jokes, did no expect them to win" or "wait we got investment from the EU" is just so facepalm moment.

A lot of wales and and some other counties who got direct investment from the EU who actually voted to leave have now come out and asked if the central government can fill the holes.......Amusingly a chart showed how the places which voted out the highest amount, typically received the most money direct from the EU. Good luck having that hole plugged, reep what you sow.

To be honest this vote was against the government itself, London and bankers(feck knows why people in our country seem to hate London so much when it generates so much of the money to subsidise there country's) rather then the EU

Of course the icing on the cake is Scotland is looking the leave. Sigh. I need to get a green card. So sad today.

Sadly for myself, my younger brother who is in Investment Banking for a large German bank, its looking like they want to move roles from London to Frankfurt now. While he is in Singapore for now, when he is back well...... Lots of colleagues of mine who get grants in the scientific field from the EU will also obviously lose said grants. Shame as we yet again get more then we give to EU.

And Lastly looking at the conditions which some other countries trade with the EU, not going to be a matter of have our cake and eat it, we will make concessions, pay higher costs to carry on trade and some of the rules stipulate free movement anyways, one thing my fellow countrymen seem to be raging about.

RIP country

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

Clearly you're very passionate about the situation, but I don't think its wise kicking off and getting wound up by it until we see how this all plays out.

I'm 23 and voted leave.

not 65

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

yeah 25 here. Don't get me wrong. I am happy when people make educated choices even on the leave side. What I think aggrieves me is when I hear people making a decision such as this for the stupidest of reasons.

Personally I think the ramification is too serious to leave in the hands of our public. Half of them from both Remain and Leave did not even have a clear rationale for voting.

Oh to add, I am glad of course we are still going through with the leave, at the end of the day regardless of how and why people made their decision, we are going along with the majority, as it should

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah mate I agree that's the problem, people wouldn't look into the full details before making a vote, I even have people where I work saying they voted stay because of the game of thrones would supposedly get a budget cut if we left..... come on now, really? basing a decision this important on a bloody TV programme is ludicrous!

I up voted you man, I do see where you are coming from.

Best of luck with your future, I sincerely hope this doesn't affect your career mate!

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

But game of throes is dammmm good :P

Lol, but yeah lack of common sense on both sides. Alas all we can do is move forward for the best!

Cheers, you too buddy!

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

haha I agree!

Yeah for sure.

Thanks man :)

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

the issue i have with the vote is that many people don't even know what the EU is, and still voted to either leave or stay...

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait really?
People don't know what the EU is?

That's like saying you don't know what Apple is ._.

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

Do you really believe that the public should not ultimately decide the fate of the nation?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I did say that: "Oh to add, I am glad of course we are still going through with the leave, at the end of the day regardless of how and why people made their decision, we are going along with the majority, as it should"

I am happy that we are going with the result. What I am not happy about in this case was the vile rhetoric from both side muddying the waters. Of course that's the aim of both sides, but when I see things like worse off by £350 million a blatant lie to be spent on NHS, then once the refrendum is over, they actually come out and say the comment was a mistake: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/nigel-farage-350-million-pledge-to-fund-the-nhs-was-a-mistake/ then yeah its painful. It just feels to me, even speaking to plenty of family a lot of the facts are just not even correct.

I think we have made it at a time when resentment is running high with the government itself, not unusual but more then the norm. I guess I would have liked the facts to have been laid out clearer on such as big decision that will affect generations to come, form both sides.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree that a government that is responsive to the will of the people will sometimes make decisions for ugly reasons, but the fact that your government will abide by the will of the people is more valuable than it seems.

Look around the world, and ask yourself what % of people could force their government to undertake this sort of major upheaval with a peaceful (mostly) referendum.

I have to give the UK props for standing by self determination, and obeying the will of the people. The impression I got was that most of the government was publicly supporting Remain (could just be the nuance of the situation not jumping the pond).

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 2 points

Certainly painting a sad picture. I think this is a mirror image of what is happening in the States, as the anti-government fervor seems to be hitting a record high. DC also gets a lot of hate from people who have never actually been here, due to being the capital.

Problem with this vote was there was no facts properly discussed, just soundbites thrown around.

So relatable. =(

• 43 months ago
  • 3 points

Yeah its sad.

I Fully understand government resentment, I think we have just expressed ourselves by shooting our selves in the foot. I just am annoyed really by both sides in the campaign, it was cut throat, full of so much vile that it really made hard understanding of actual facts and figures.

• 43 months ago
  • -1 points

I voted to leave and am very happy about it, no regrets whatsoever. Looking forward to once again living in a democratic country not having people in Brussels make laws that I have to live by

Get your head straight and wake up.

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

Good for you, Glad your happy, its your decision. If you bothered to read some of my other comments you will see I am happy that we are following the results, even if I do not agree with them, so please do me the courtesy of reading them before personally insulting me, looks pathetic.

Amusing thing is, the UK had plenty of Veto over laws implemented, we just never bothered to turn up and represent ourselves. Fisherman not happy with the Quota, no worries Nigel was on the EU Fishing committee. Oh wait, whats that he only turned up to 1 out of 42 meeting over a 3 year period.

Whats that Chinese dumping steel and ruining our Steel industry. Wait a second, but the UK was the one who Veto'd and prevented a law on dumping on steel the EU was trying to implement. hmmmmmmmm

Ah yes but we are a democratic country now with out unelected queen and house of lords.

• 43 months ago
  • -2 points

Don't presume to think that everyone thinks the way you do, that should have been obvious from the vote, you lost, so dry your eyes out. But yes, most people do hate London, that's one thing you did get right

• 43 months ago
  • 0 points

It's an opinion and mine alone so please do not tell me how I should / should not feel. Ahhhhh your telling me it should be obvious from the vote and I agree there are issues in the country, however take a fresh look at the results yourself. 48% voted in, so whatever way you cut it, this is a very small victory and we are a divided nation. So please continue telling me not everyone things the way I do, and I would agree. But not everyone thinks the way you do either ;)

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Some people who voted to leave have changed their mind as well, as at the time they didn't fully understand what it was they were voting for as both campaigns were abysmal at getting that across. The ramifications of the decision have now started becoming clear and it has got people worried.

That and the fact that few of the things the Leave campaign said before the vote like the amount we send to the EU and their figures about immigration have turned out to be a load of crap.

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

Exactly and this is what annoys me. So much misinformation really going around is beyond a joke. Pretty much all of it has been backpedaled already. So many people did not even know what they were voting for (does include some remain, though to a lesser extent)

So many people voted out as a protest leave its crazy. There is a time to protest but this is not it. The thing that irks me is the regions who got so much funding from the EU, Wales, Cornwall etc and voted leave now piped up wanting the shortfall covered.

Sciences have taken a hit. I am lucky as I just finished my PHD, but my research, faculty and was funded primarily by the EU, UK done well in that regard. My colleagues are not so lucky however and in a few years there departments which get so much grants from the EU will be drying up.

We whine about our industries and what not, but its self inflicted, our own government did it to us. Steel as I mentioned past examples, EU wanted to bring down laws to limit Chinese dumping, guess who stood in the way, the UK did of course.

Thus far all I have heard from leave is we got democracy back, right to self govern etc. Of course we do, with an unelected queen (do not have anything against the queen) and a whole house of lords who get it for life, great democracy right there for us.

• 43 months ago
  • 3 points

And here I am living in Scotland without a clue what is going on...

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

I hear people in Scotland are mulling over another referendum of their own now, because they want to be in the EU and some are saying they only voted to stay UK because it was access to the EU.

Thoughts? Completely wrong?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not the person to ask... I honestly know next to nothing. Only the basics.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

+1 for the lol

haha

• 43 months ago
  • 3 points

Personally I think that we have made a big mistake and that people haven't realised the impact the EU had on our everyday lives. Many perceived the debate almost entirely through the issue of immigration and the notion that we could "take back control" but the EU is much more complex than that.

• We're now seeing the value of the pound decreasing which will lead to price hikes in certain areas.
  • The figure that we send £350 million per week to the EU was rubbished by Nigel Farage himself mere hours after the result.
  • We will lose access to a $16.6 trillion a year Single Market (if we still wish to trade with the Single Market we will need to pay into the EU and follow their regulations but without any say).
  • We will lose access to agricultural development funding.
  • We will lose significant investment in the UK, which we're already starting to see the impact of with companies moving jobs outside of the UK.
  • We will no longer be involved in cross-border EU funded projects dealing with scientific research such as the Horizon 2020 program.
  • British families enjoyed lower mobile phone roaming charges, lower credit card fees, cheaper flights and proper compensation when flights are delayed or cancelled. These benefits are now in question.
  • Diving licenses issued in the UK were also valid in the EU. They now won't be.
  • More than 14,500 UK students took part in the European Union’s Erasmus student exchange scheme in 2012-13. We now now no longer have access to that scheme.
  • The European Arrest Warrant replaced long extradition procedures and enabled the UK to extradite criminals wanted in other EU countries, and bring to justice criminals wanted in the UK who are hiding in other EU countries. There will now be more red tape.
  • The UK was the second largest beneficiary of EU research funds. Our world-leading Universities will no longer have access to that funding.

I could go on... The future of the United Kingdom itself is now also at risk with a second Scottish independence referendum highly likely and talk of a reunification between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. I really do believe the people of the UK who voted to leave will come to regret their decision.

• 43 months ago
  • -1 points

It's ok you can have another ref and vote to leave the UK this time.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I am actually super impressed by the UK for following through with the apparent will of the people and allowing this vote to go through unmolested, although clearly there is a large portion that is against it as well.

I am still trying to formulate my own opinion on the matter, but it is cool to see people voting and a choice occurring on such a tumultuous topic.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I am still trying to formulate my own opinion on the matter, but it is cool to see people voting and a choice occurring on such a tumultuous topic.

I totally agree. Whatever the outcome for the country, this was a win for sure.

Sucks to see the stock market and the pound taking a dump though.

• 43 months ago
  • 3 points

The stock market will bounce back. This is just a bunch of knee jerk effect. Happens ever time the media hypes some sort of potential change.

Lets face it. France, Germany, and the rest of North/Western Europe will continue to do business with the UK. The relationship between the US, and UK is solid. Will lots of people have to spend lots of time working out the details of new trade agreements... yes, but that's not on its face a bad thing. The new trade deals could be drivers of wealth building on both sides, we will only know when they happen.

I say good for the UK, and for the common citizen who wants to be heard again.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

+1

100% with everything you've put!

EU has cost the UK hundreds & thousands of Jobs already.

(steel industry)

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Sad thing here bud, is the EU tried to get some restrictions in place to prevent the dumping of steel by china which was killing our industry. We Veto'd it as we did not want the restrictions! So we actually killed our selves in the steel industry while the EU was actually the good guy :O

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tata-steel-uk-government-accused-of-failing-to-protect-british-workers-by-blocking-eu-plans-to-allow-a6962446.html

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

It will only be temporary with the pound supposedly, I for one (being a brit) am very happy Cameron has resigned.

I don't delve into politics much but the referendum I did, and I believe although the first few years may be a little rocky, it will be for the best.

• 43 months ago
  • 3 points

it's crazy to see companies moving thousands of employees. Britain expected to lose 10s of thousands of jobs because of this.

Morgan Stanley moved 2000 people already.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not actually from the UK, but I did some basic research, and i'm glad you guys left.

The pound may be temporary lowered, but in the longrun it was worth it.

hope everything goes well for you guys.

EDIT:Fixed piss poor grammar.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks man +1

Yeah, Its going to be a bit of a rollercoaster for the next year or so but as you say in the long run it should be worth it.

Now many other European countries want their own referendum!

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

This was not a good idea, it's sad it went through. Conservatives got away with something here and this isn't the end.

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

I first read this as conservatries, those god damn conservatries ruining everything! xD

just get an extension!!

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I believe they should have voted to stay. The issue was just immigration/refugees, another massive part of it is the economical ramifications, tens of thousands of lost jobs to start to the pound losing 11% value immediately. Some of these will even out, sure. But I'm sorry to tell you, terrorists don't care about immigration laws/regulations, they will get in to any country they want to cause destruction.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I gotchu broseph

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Also I didn't down vote. That does nothing to the conversation at hand besides get people angry.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I assumed that "you" was pointed at me, I apologize.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

From what I understand about Cameron is that he's not unlike Trump when it comes to childish insults. That being said yeah it's sad didn't think they were gonna do it.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I heard about this, but can't really grasp how big Britain leaving the union is. Can someone dumb it down for me?

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

The people of the UK have chosen to suffer the short term upheaval of leaving the EU in return for the greater control over their own society.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Their currency will stabilize, and they won't be forced to accept immigrants anymore.

So as long as nothing ***** up, it was a good idea to keave.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Over the long run I agree... that said its going to be a bit of a bumpy road to get there. One thing that could make this a bunch more interesting is if Scotland or N Ireland wants to leave the UK.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Imagine California turned up tomorrow and said "F you guys, we are outta here." Now they are no longer subject to US law.

Now imagine how all the business relationships and living arrangements and laws and governance would be affected.

It's kinda like that.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Except its Texas instead of California, because we all know those Texans have been planning it for years and years.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

lol I chose California for GDP, population, and geographic reasons. But you're right, Texas is far more likely than anyone.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually there is a movement in Northern California to split from Southern California, they're very different places. Back on topic how long has Cameron been PM, and does this amount to a "no confidence" vote?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Won't happen. Some politician guy tried to get something passed to split north and south California, it didn't pass. Same guy tried again few years ago, this time, his proposal was to split California into 3 states. Northern, Central, and South. Central and South gets their water from North, if it gets split into 3 states, North state would deny giving water to central and south california. LA would throw riots if they were to have a huge drop in water available. It's not worth it because splitting California only benefits the north, then economy in south would crash and affect central then it's a domino's effect

They have been trying to split California for decades, the only thing that doesn't change is splitting north california from the rest

• 43 months ago
  • 0 points

Difference being the UK is a country, Texas and California have always been states or certainly have for the last 100 yrs

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

Of course, you're right. Naturally no analogy is perfect.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

It is a good analogy for other EU countries using the Euro leaving. They'd have to create a new currency while killing investment. Which would lead to the new currency being utterly worthless.

Britain herself is in for a bumpy ride. It may not be immediately evident but as time progresses it will manifest itself.

Trade barriers are not the way to go when the economy is down we in the US already proved that with the Hoover years. Obviously no one pays attention to history anymore because it appears a global repeat of the 1930's in the US may be upon us. With all the fiery rhetoric being spewed by the right wing nationalists, blaming everyone else for their country's problems resentment against those other countries will ensue and lead to WWIII. That was one of the biggest talking points that got Hitler elected. The horrendous state of the German economy in the 1930's and the easiest place to put the blame was on the rest of Europe for the required reparations for WWI.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

While I'm not informed enough to say much about the issue, I'm definatealy enjoing some of the outcomes

Seriously though, why is it so bad?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

It's only bad depending on who you ask. But see my response to Sonny_Warbucks, or read Radox-0's post to get some context as to why people might not be thrilled.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, I see.

This problem seems to go pretty deep... I don't have much to say here, I'm too scared of saying something wrong just because I don't have enough information to base off an opinion yet, and even then not enough to defend it.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Rip EU

Rip stock market

Rip rip

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

And in the end Nigel Farage lied about the £350 million per week.

F****ck

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you actually surprised?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

No not really, but if he had told the truth, we would probably be staying in the EU because that's why a lot of people wanted to leave, for the £350 million we lose

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, staying in the EU and also not losing Scotland as well

• 43 months ago
  • 0 points

Farage is the man, he puts every other politician to shame

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I personally think Farage is an idiot, and most of the political parties in the UK are crap and falling to pieces

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I have formulated my opinion on this:

As a US Citizen, I say that if this is what the people want, then so be it. The people voted and made a choice.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

While I feel sad for Cameron, he also brought it upon himself by promising a referendum. I think he was overconfident in getting people to vote remain and did it to keep his position as PM. However he was also let down my the labour party. They did a poor job at convincing it's supporterss to remain.

This whole debate was a farce IMO. It was all about scare tactics vs lies - and lies won. Like others have said, there was no clear facts of the pro's and con's of leaving the EU. As soon as the leave party won, Nigel Farage admitted the £350m a week extra to spend on NHS was a mistake and there would apparently be not much change on immigration - the two main arguments he preached to people to leave. It's a joke to believe they're allowed to do this.

• 43 months ago
  • 0 points

It's called democracy, the majority of people voted to leave and more people voted in this referendum than any election in 30 yrs so it's not like someone can argue people didn't turn out.

There's a lot of people who don't like the result but that would have been the case if it had gone the other way

The vote was 52/48 so pretty close and 35 million people voted. I believe in democracy and I believe that the people have spoken.

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 3 points

I think you need to re-take modern European History. Your comment here is so ignorant and uneducated sounding.

• 43 months ago
  • -3 points

Your comment is ignorant, you need to wake up to the propaganda

• 43 months ago
  • 0 points

You are exactly right, kids though just eat up the propaganda they are fed by the BBC and its ilk.

The BBC actually receive funding from the EU so obviously no conflict of interest there

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

it'll stabilize.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Until it starts impacting your everyday life!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube