add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Future of Nvidia vs AMD?

TestBuilds
  • 84 months ago

When Nvidia came out with the Kepler GTX 680, it was $50 less than the 7970, quieter (stock cooler at least), used less energy, used less space, and performed better (as far as I've found). The 670 then came out and beat the 7970 in certain games, like BF3, so AMD updated their drivers and reduced their prices. Nvidia holds the professional market with Quadros and Teslas, but AMD parts are in the Wii U, the upcoming PS4, and as far as we know, the XBox "Durango." It seems like most people choose to recommend AMD cards for gaming rigs because of the price to performance, but Nvidia has CUDA, and adaptive Vsync. What do you guys think will happen to the competition between these two companies? If there are any inaccuracies in this description, do tell me, and I will change it.

Comments

• 84 months ago
  • 2 points

OK... well, it goes a lot deeper than that.

There are differences, like in performance using AA (anti-aliasing), AF (ansitropic filtering), tessellation, etc.

nVidia does have CUDA, but most games don't use that. nVidia has PhysX, but if you check the nVidia page, you'll see only a very short list of games actually make use of PhysX in their games.

nVidia GPUs normally have more stable framerates, meaning their maximum and minimum framerate stays closer together, meaning less high peaks, and less moments of lag.

AMD however is the opposite. They normally run at much higher framerates, with higher peaks in high framerate, and longer periods of lag.

AMD has "the holy trinity" of console GPUs (and CPUs), and right now it has better price/performance than nVidia.

Really, what nVidia needs to do is to start improving their drivers for gaming, like crazy. They need to make gamers feel like they're the better option again. They need to stop putting their developers and engineers to work on that Tegra cr*p, and start putting them to work on the GTX 700 series, looking at how to make better reference coolers (maybe take lessons from MSI, GIGABYTE and ASUS?), start working on getting GeForce Experience to be awesome and full driver integration by default (while also adjusting settings in-game automatically, without requiring any user intervention).

nVidia has their strategy all wrong. They're trying to get into the mobile arena, when it's simply a lot more interesting for them to focus on their core market, the video card market, and developing awesome software to support their products.

Also, the nVidia bundle was just pathetic; there are no other words to describe that bundle. It doesn't even pale in comparison in the hopes of aspiring to dream of coming to close to being ad awesome of a bundle as the AMD Never Settle Reloaded Bundle.

nVidia is going to drop big time, if this continues. They need to rethink their ways, and stop trying to make Tegra work; if they gain the mobile market, but lose their GPU market (for consumers, at least), how will that play out for them?

I think if nVidia doesn't start focusing on their core market again, nVidia to AMD in the GPU market will be like AMD to Intel in the CPU market.

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

I see what you mean about Nvidia's focus on the mobile market. most of the articles I see are about Tegra 4. Sure, the Titan came out, but hey already had that as a Tesla part, and the Shield is yet to be released. I just really hope they come back up in the market, because they make the more efficient GPUs. And yeah, AMD's bundles are ridiculous. Stuff like $260 Radeon 7950 with Crysis 3 and Bioshock 3... that's stupidly worth it. Well thanks for your info, it just made me realize how much more trouble Nvidia could be in.

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah.

Right now, AMD has a better strategy, and their poised to win big time.

I mean, they have marketing, bundles, and a great focus. Now if only AMD would start hiring more hardware engineers, and more software engineers too.

If AMD can keep working on their drivers, and the AMD engineers can put more effort towards their GPU line, it'll be awesomesauce of epicness!

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

If they throw in their own version of PhysX... That could be ridiculously effective.

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah. All they'd have to do is make their own PhysX library that uses OpenCompute technology, make it free, and make it easy for developers to incorporate it into their game engines (like CryEngine, Unreal Engine, etc).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube