add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What PC hardware companies get more flak than they deserve?

526christian

43 months ago

There's a lot of companies out there, and some of them are bound to get more hate than they really should. Who are some?

For example, ASRock. They, for some reason, have a reputation for lower quality motherboards and are considered a "lower-tier" brand, even though they are like the other big players.

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

Biostar - there new boards are fairly good.

ASRock - they get a bunch of random hate for no reason

Nvidia - depending on who you ask, Nvidia is either one notch above or one notch below Hitler on the Evil Scale.

Corsair - They get a ton of **** for their CX PSU's even though the recent ones are good and people stupidly saying Evga > Corsair even though Evga has more crap/not good PSU's than Corsair does.

Seagate - I have had people look at me like I just burned a orphanage down for recommending a Seagate drive.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Razer:

Yes, yes, I know, their branding is awful and all gamery, but once you look over that, they make quite solid products, of course catering to that crowd which is the gaming crowd. While I don't really like their headphones, mice, and some of their other peripherals for various reasons, I absolutely love the Razer Greens with the satisfying "crisp" (I know terrible words to say for something like this but whatever) clicks that I haven't found on any other keyboard switch, and their laptops are absolutely amazing to use.

Apple:

I've said this before and I've said this again, while I don't believe that their products are the best, I do respect them as a company. For their always pushing the boundaries and setting the stage for different technologies, (3D Touch, yes I know it's a cooler version than long tap) and always pushing the norm, like removing the 3.5mm jack. They put the design first, which while us enthusiasts is against what we like to do, it works and I respect them for making Apple such a big name, and making their products generally "cool" to own.

Corsair

Despite the Tramp-stamp nature of the Corsair Gaming profiles, the "Corsair tax' (how fitting actually), and other issues such as their CS/CX power supplies, there is one thing that I do have to give credit to Corsair. For entering markets with a strong stature, and keeping that stature strong throughout despite the nature of Corsair products and how high of a price they tend to be. I personally own a K70 RGB and a M65 RGB, both of which are a absolute BLAST to use, and I love them separately. I have also felt how their budget stuff is, like the 230T which removing the panels for was an absolute mess to do so. Regardless, I love them as a company and they really do make solid stuff despite the prices

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Razer

I personally don't mind Razer too much.

Apple

This is what I disagree with. Apple products are insanely overpriced and offer only mediocre performance for what they deliver. Their latest products have been failures (Apple Watch, iPad Pro), and now they have completely ruined themselves by removing the slide to unlock feature in the next IOS update.

Corsair

Besides their PSUs (Which aren't too bad), I really like Corsair. Especially their peripherals.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Are insanely overpriced and offer only mediocre performance for what they deliver.

I never have said that they aren't overpriced or that they do offer top of the level performance. What I am saying is that they are innovative and that they really have been pushing for things even if they do end up as failures, or being too far. I just respect the thing that they push for industries to follow and that they can be that influential. (Notably the Apple Watch)

Also I don't get why the slide to unlock thing is so bad. Most Andriod skins don't have it, let alone anyone really uses it if they have TouchID.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually I was implying that the original apple feature that everyone loved (slide to unlock) was being removed, which everyone is agreeing that it is a big. However, I do agree with the fact that their devices are pretty cool.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually Apple products offer great performance, but maybe not for the price. iOS is extremely smooth and well optimized and is very, very light on the apple devices, so much so that the iPhone does bring performance to the table.

iPhones also have some of the best phone cameras I've seen.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Apple has a bad rep in this PC building community but outside of that I would say it has perhaps the best brand ever for Average Joe. If you are capable of building your own system then you could build better than apple for less money but Average joe doesn't want to build and doesn't know how, so Apple is good for them

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Say what you will about asrock, they still have great customer support.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Just a shame mine isn't one of the good ones :( No M.2, floppy wifi antennae and bad power delivery that won't let me OC to my fullest extent. Bios is good though, if you can avoid the freeze bug. But that's what I get for trying to put a PC together as the new gen of parts is coming out. (Z170M-ITX/AC)

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Originally I was going to go for the Gigaabyte Z170N wifi because it was the first Z170 itx board listed on the website but the due date for stock just kept being moved so I had to chose between the one I have now and the Fatal1ty board. Think I made the wrong decision Lol. Not going to do anything until Zen and Kabylake at least.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Asrock

Antec

Seagate

Everyone else deserves the hate they get imo.

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Oooh that is that hightech information system or something company right? I honestly only recognize the name from a conservation I had a few months ago. I'll take your word for it!

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

HIS made some AWESOME cards.

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

VisionTek too :(

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Corsair CS. They are rebranded S12IIs IIRC.

Corsair CSM? They're not rebranded S12IIs (only SeaSonic-made Corsairs are the AX), but they do indeed get more hate than they deserve for reasons that are beyond me.

Kingston V300. They are just overpriced.

Well, I mean, they ARE worse-performing than most much of the competition. Although some people make them sound like they're as slow as HDDs overall.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I've never actually seen Antec get flak. I certainly respect their cases and PSU's.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

it looks fine too me...

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Great Wall also are now making Corsair's SF 450W and 600W. Maybe they'll start making others?

I'd like to see more Chicony PSUs though.

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe, but only time will tell.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 2 points

Its ridiculous, I was watching a video to talking about how Nvidia was deceiving and lying but they really weren't if you read the graphs.

Everyone glossed over the relative gaming performance slide where the 1080 was at 4.5 and the titan at 3.5 which is actually pretty accurate from the benchmarks I have seen.

And then the same people don't care that AMD knew of a bug that causes Nvidia hardware to perform worse in the only benchmark they release.

• 43 months ago
  • 3 points

A light year is a unit of distance. =)

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

I meant to say this. Props to you, good sir.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Seen way more Seagate failures in my time them WD though

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

To each their own; between the drives we find in pcs at work (which range from Samsung, WD, Seagate, and Toshiba), those failed the most. I know in reality WD is only marginally better, but they seem to last longer here (mines managed four years). I suppose it could be a number of other factors such as keeping the PC clean, the stress it endures, etc.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube