add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GTX 1080 Founders Edition vs regular edition - compatibility?

Mingin

42 months ago

G'day guys,

Very new to this game, I'm planning a new build with a budget of about $4k-$4.5k after working and saving for a very long time.

I've already pre-ordered a GB GTX 1080 founders edition, which is what I plan to begin with, however in a year or two, with newer / more advanced games, and more cash of course, I'm looking to expand to two 1080's running in SLI via the new HB bridge Nvidia is bringing out.

My question, all that aside, is whether or not a 1080 Founders edition will be compatible in SLI with any subsequent 1080's released? GPU such as the G1 (non-founders, with better cooling / more fans etc) soon to be released by Gigabyte.

Cheers in advance, I'm also going to post a separate topic shortly, as being new to the game, I'm also just making sure I'm getting the correct PSU to power this unit etc.

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

Yep it'll work

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Ripper. Thanks mate.

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

Step up your overall cooling with that founder's Edition 1080. Gets very hot. I am waiting for the 1080 design for much better cooling

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh really? I've been vaguely following the initial reviews on the bangers, I'm planning on getting an NZXT 630 windowed ultra tower with fans galore, would that be sufficient? Or should I be looking to some water cooling?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I am reading the base 1080 will start slowing down at 82C/180F temps. That is just the card itself.

I am also reading the first 1080 with cooler designs at 66C/151F.....4K gaming

Me personally, the founders edition runs way too hot for me. I guess it don't matter much as no one can buy any 1080 :) [OUT OF STOCKS]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube