add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Chipset for Dual GTX 1080?

Chance0066

40 months ago

So, I'm far from an expert in the matter, but I said that when they finally moved up on graphics cards, I would finally build my dream system. I started doing my research again after being out of it for a couple of years now, and saw that the new Skylake processors only offer a 8x/8x configuration for SLI. I've heard that this would be perfectly fine for all of the cards out on the market prior to the GTX 1080 announcement, but is it possible that this is no longer the case? If so, should I build with the X99 chipset instead? I know ASUS just revamped their boards for X99, so I'm not opposed to it.

Another question, do you think dual 1080's will run a 3 monitor 4k set up? Thanks for any and ALL advice!

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

Not sure where you heard that. Skylake will be fine. Nothing fundamentally different with the 1080.

3 x 4 k moniters. Depends what your running and what fps your after. Witcher 3 with high settings on all 3 panels. Nah not gonna happen. Notch down the settings or less demanding titles. Then sure.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube