add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Does 1440p scale down to 1280x720?

ThisIsEduardo

40 months ago

Considering getting some 1440p screens, currently have 1080p. i'm not a huge gamer, really want the 1440p mostly for desktop real estate.

But suppose i want to play some games that my GTX 960 cannot handle in 1440p... could i just turn down the res in half without losing image quality? Because I know you are not supposed to run monitors outside of their native resolution. I actually sometimes prefer lower resolution over lower the graphic settings. I like the grainy filmy look of a lower res.

just want to make sure this is an option?

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

It is an option. It's as simple as changing the resolution in-game. :-)

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

But suppose i want to play some games that my GTX 960 cannot handle in 1440p... could i just turn down the res in half without losing image quality?

Not without losing image quality. It is possible though just change it in the game settings. Everythings going to look ridiculously blown up. But that being said should be fine with a gtx 960 as long as you tone down AA and post processing. For a while I ran 1440p with a 270x which is much weaker than your 960 and I was surprised at how many games could I play at high settings with AA and other effects turned down.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought pixels could scale back as long as it was in 1:1 ratio without losing IQ?

anyone else can chime in?

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah you know what your right. My bad. Yeah 720p should scale 1:1 on a 1440p monitor. They discuss it more here you want to read. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2672629/1080p-1440p-monitor.html

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube