add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What size SSD?

Starlana
  • 80 months ago

Okay, I have a Western Digital Blue 1 TB HDD, but I want to put my OS on a SSD, so what size SSD do I need to purchase? I opted for Windows 7 64-bit OEM on disk. I don't think there will be much more I'd put on it, maybe Microsoft Office Student if I end up making that purchase. Thanks so much! <3 Starlana <3

Comments

• 80 months ago
  • 2 points

64gb at a minimum but i have found that 128/120 is a near minimum for a few programs and games with 240 or higher being ideal

• 80 months ago
  • 2 points

^ this.

• 80 months ago
  • 2 points

If it's just the OS and Office that you'd be installing, 64Gb would be plenty.

• Windows 7 64-bit ~ 20Gb
  • Office ~ 2-3Gb (depending on the version)
  • 80 months ago
  • 1 point

I bought a 128gb and have a bunch of adobe programs, and a dozen or so games installed with about 16 gb to spare.

If you're not going to run games or any other programs off of it just get whatever is cheap. amazon was having a sale on ssd earlier today. 20% off I think

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

that may be fine to have 16gb left over. but test show the more the drive is used and is full the slower it performs.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah but it's an ssd, it's still moving fast

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

yes but when you keep games and file with very little left on the drive your not utilizing the wear leveling and are causing the 16gb to deteriorate very rapitly

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube