add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i3 6100 work fine with 980ti? (bottleneck???)

Astarot

45 months ago

i want a 980ti and set my rig with the new skylake system, so i try to make a best rig for easyes upgrades (just cpu)

so i thing this:

-i3 6100 -asus z170 progaming -asus 980ti strix

(for just only upgrade cpu in 2 or 3 monts) i can work fine this rig for 2 or 3 monts (games like wow, dota, witcher, gta v)

sorry for my engliss, im from colombia and the price here is huge

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 5 points

the i3 is fine with a 980ti, especially if your going to upgrade it soon anyway (though id just wait and buy the whole system when I could afford the better cpu instead of wasting cash on buying the i3 just to get rid of it soon after).

theres a few games that you may take a hit on with the i3, but not a lot of them... and not too badly since its still 4 threads (though a Pentium may suffer much much more as it only has 2)

If you planned to keep the i3 id warn against it and tell you to go down a notch on the gpu to afford an i5 at least, but since your already planning to replace it soon after, theres no reason not to go ahead and get it.

• 45 months ago
  • 3 points

You shouldn't really be buying an I3 and having it paired with a GTX 980TI If you can afford that kind of money on a GPU then you can afford an I5

Get an I5 and a GTX 980 or GTX 970

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

You'll see solid framerates for sure, but I'd have to recommend you wait and build it when you have enough for a better CPU. i5-6500, i5-6600, and i5-6600K are all in the $200 range and will be a solid pairing with the 980Ti.

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

your monitor will bottleneck the whole gaming experience (if your monitor is 60hz)

• 42 months ago
  • 0 points

3 months ago

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

You certainly could do it, but the games which require the use of multiple background processes within the CPU are going to lag your performance because you only have 2 cores to share the load. Here is the link I found which kind of suggests possible ideas on other avenues. http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/how-many-games-really-require-a-quad-core-as-minimum.454575593/ It is from a different forum but at least it is pointed to your question. I personally think you might want to wait and go a cheaper route with an older CPU, which unfortunately may cost almost the same as the new ones, and save money on the mobo and ram. No you wouldn't be "future proof", but that system maybe within your budget. You could save on the GPU at that point too and go with a solid 960 or 950 depending, AMD has some awesome stuff at a competitive price-point. Just check it out and see what works.

• 45 months ago
  • 4 points

The i3 will run games that require 4 cores....

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

This^

Any game that is GPU dependent the i3 won't hold back the 980 ti at all. But in games that are heavily CPU dependent the i3 won't be able to keep up and you will see lower frame rates than you would with an i5 or i7. With that being said, the i3/980 ti system would still produce more FPS than an i5/970 or even an i7/980. But to unleash the full power of the 980 ti in ALL games. You will want to have the i5 or better.

Also, If you go with the i3 or a non-K i5/i7(no overclocking), you could save some money on the board by going to a lesser chipset. Why don't you go over to the part's list opinions and post your build and I can take a look and help you pick the best build for your budget.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

ty for all opinions.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

you could also get a GTX 1070 and a 6600k for around the same price.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

2 months ago

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube