add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
deathfromup

75 months ago

Ever since i built my first PC i have been itching to build more and more. I just graduated college with an engineering degree and a job that pays decently. I want to spend my paychecks on upgrading my rig but my level head tells me i need to save that money for the future. So this brings me here, i want to build computers that are made to sell. By waiting for good sales on components and actually know what im doing when building a PC i was hoping that i could build rigs and set them up, then sell them through Craigslist and eBay to make a small profit from the labor i put in and the sale price differences.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/deathfromup/saved/2xVR

I threw together a good build here with lots of bang for the buck. I plan to overclock the CPU to 4.0 which will be easy enough with the hyper tx3. Ill wait for sales and hopefully take the price down to somewhere around $480. The build is made to sell so some things are a little different. For example the RAM is1333 instead of a 1600 or higher, this is because the person buying this would never be able to tell the difference and they wont actually look for a RAM speed on a Craigslist build.

I want to know. Is this crazy or dumb? Is there no room for profit? I feel like the builds i see currently on Craigslist are generally unbalanced and not well thought out. If i write a good description and prove that i know what im doing do you think people will actually appreciate the PC's i build? Has anyone tried this before and has it been successful or fallen flat? Also what do you think i could price a PC like this at? I was thinking 699 would be fair and i would maybe post it at 799 and let myself get talked down to 699.

Hopefully this would allow me to take the profits form these builds and put them into upgrading my PC without having to dip into my savings.

Comments

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

That is a really hard thing to do. Here is why, if you build a high end rig, at a cost of $1000, what if you don't sell it immediately. Then the high end components (GPU) become dated, perhaps the pricing more aggressive, and all that cuts into your profits. I have thought about this at length, and I have decided about the only way to really do it is sell your build services. "For $50" I will help you pick parts, order them, and build your system", or some value that makes sense. Otherwise you are sitting on components that have zero shelf life. I once saw someone buy 2 laptops at a very good price and put a nice mobile GPU in them both and try to sell the second at a profit. No dice, it didn't sell. Within 1 month he would be lucky to fetch a price that allowed him to break even. But even then it didn't sell.

So, basically, that sort of thing is very difficult, and margins are very very tight. Good luck though, don't let ME talk you out of it.

BTW, this is probably the wrong forum section for this post. You need to be in "general discussion" or maybe "for sale or trade".

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input. It is definitely a risky business. i just need to find a way to feed my addiction lol.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

I would try to buy rigs for sale at low cost and maybe improve a part or two and sell them for small profits that way to get started

Or if you find good deals on rigs on craigslist and stuff buy those (usually people sell stuff for cheap because they need the money) and you can sell the for profit that way

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah i saw that guy that was posting his builds from classified and it kinda inspired this.

One of my friends that is really into autos does with with trucks and motorcycles he will just check Craigslist all the time for good deals then snatch them up, make a few tweaks then resell for dam good money. I guess it could work too with computers.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya that would be your best bet to start off small/slow and build into it if it's something you really want to do

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

might also steal the good parts from the builds and put them in my current build, then still resell but probably for less.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube