add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

QNIX 2560x1440

deathfromup

77 months ago

This is my current build. http://pcpartpicker.com/b/FhK

I was wanting to purchase a QNIX 2560x1440 monitor for use as my main monitor and i own a asus 23" 1920x180 as my secondary. I know that my GPU wont get very good frames on a 2560x1440 monitor but i am planning to upgrade sometime down the line and want to future proof my monitor.

Is the 7870's 2gb vram have enough memory to run a game on the 2560x1440 while having a twitch steam/ netflix on the other monitor? Will is reduce the performance on the game im play significantly? Are there other factors that may bottle neck something like this as well?

Would it be silly to buy the monitor and just use the 1920x1080 setting in games where i run into performance issue? or should i really just buy a 1920x1080 and upgrade when i have a new GPU.

Comments

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Also im considering putting my 7870 up on craigslist and getting a 7950 since they have dropped in price so much bc it has 3gb vram. The only thing stopping me form doing so is the new AMD cards coming out a 2 weeks. Does anyone knows if the new 150-250 dollar AMD cards will have 3gb vram?

• 77 months ago
  • 2 points

from what i remember, the r9 270x for $200 will have 2GB and the r9 280x for $300 (i think) will have 3GB. note these cards are also optimized for high-res (specifically 4k, but im sure it will do great)

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a Qnix Evolution II and am using crossfire 7950s with no problems. When I turn off crossfire obviously the FPS goes down, but not due to lack of VRAM. In my opinion a good future proofing method is to get a card with 3 or more, but I don't see you running into any issues with 2.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply. Ill probably end up getting it and using the AMD software to change the resolution until i upgrade. Having the 2560x1440 for everyday internet browsing and watching videos etc will be cool.

In your opinion how much better is the 1440p than 1080p.

• 77 months ago
  • 2 points

The pixel density is just so damn good. What I really like is how much screen estate you have. You can have multiple windows open and not have to shrink anything down to fit them. I find that I am more productive because I don't do a lot of screen swapping and Alt+Tabing around. I would also have to say that going back to 1080p after working and gaming on 1440p for a while takes a little adjusting

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

haha this makes me want it even more. I love having screen real estate. I go from my 23" 1080p at home to my 1366x768 screen at work and it is horrible. When im doing spreadsheets u can barely fit 10-15 rows in. At home i can easily fit 20-30 and imagine how many u could fit on the 2710 evo II.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

When you open Youtube and slide it to fit half the screen, You can make the video to the larger size and it will still fit without having to adjust the width of the window. :)

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

haha thanks for the help skemble

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

also if i may ask where did u get the monitor from and for how much. Ive heard ebay is the way to get it cheap but u have to be careful about which sellers to buy from. Newegg is sellign them now but at around 360 instead of some ive seen for ~280 on ebay

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

I bought mine on Amazon for $319.99 with I believe ~$20 shipping from Korea and it came in three days. I got the Perfect Pixel version and I have no dead pixels. I do have some edge bleed on the top and bottom when the screen is all black, but I don't watch widescreen movies on this since 1080p movies get stretched so I don't really care.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube