add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

G3258 Vs. X4 860K

TomHoad
  • 50 months ago

Intel Pentium G3258 or AMD Athlon X4 860K for first time, $400/£300 budget PC builb?

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 2 points

For what? Rendering or editing, 860K. For gaming 860K due to it having 4 cores which is required for some games to run.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Iirc Far Cry 4 does, Dragon age Inquisition, sure you can get these to run with hacks but I wouldn't invest money into a game only to have a patch render it unplayable. I wouldn't put it past Ubisoft to make games that need 4 cores to run or more games coming out that need them to run. I prefer to play it safe than sorry. There are probably more but I am dead tired so my thinking ability isn't the best.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

If you cn't afford at least an i3 you should leave intel alone, the pure dual core intel chips are obsolete as far as gaming is concerned, they stutter like crazy in certain games and won't even play in others. They are a dead duck that should be avoided.

If that's all your budget allows you should go with the X4 860k

watch this to see what I mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxUPJdcChzE&list=LLuaAgYr2lF0LJVT_XP-i3ZQ&index=12

• 50 months ago
  • 0 points

he pure dual core intel chips are obsolete as far as gaming is concerned,

Far from it.

they stutter like crazy in certain game

Proof?

won't even play in others.

That is usually fixed with a patch from the devs, a mod, or some tweaking in the game files.

They are a dead duck that should be avoided.

If anything here is dead it is the 860k. It has no upgrade path whatsoever.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you watch the video I added? That shoud provide all the proof you need.

They are a dead duck and should be avoided

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you watch the video I added?

No I didn't. I skipped over it in

I actually have watched this video before though.

I've realized that my reasoning is flawed, because we are talking about the G3258. Not an i3.

I still don't think that dual cores are dead though. Definitely not i3's. Their hyperthreading is useful in certain scenarios.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxUPJdcChzE&t=3m33s

He didn't link to the right part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rutk9ErhKG4

And in some parts like where they were riding the horse in TW3 we see another issue that isn't actually massive framerate drops and is instead some pretty bad frametimes.

[comment deleted]
  • 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Would rather go G3258 because of LGA1150 upgrade path as whatever CPU I get it will only be temporary.

[comment deleted]
  • 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Also I am not looking at playing Far Cry or GTA and I already have battlefront on the XBox.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Thought so

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube