add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

390 vs 970 for 900p

Kubko

49 months ago

Before you start giving me a hard time about 900p, I have that monitor at home. So it is free and I am on a budget and as a student 100 bucks is enough for me to live for 1 month if I do not go crazy on booze. So guys what do you think which one is better? They cost the same where I live. I know that 3,5gb of vram is more than enough for 1080p so 900p will be good. I play lot of skyrim with mods so vram is important to me. Also I am not a fanboy so I want your objective opinion which one will be better. I might add another one in the future and I might decide to go with 1440p panel in future too. I want my build to last at least for 3 or 4 years. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/j6K3hM here is a link of other components I chose. I chose Xeon over 4790k because it is cheaper, mobo is cheaper too and overall it will be a good match with either 970 or 390. If you think that i7 4790k is better option I might grab that. Thank you :)

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

390 generally beats 970...

that said, 900p is a joke for those cards as they are designed for 1080/1440p

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd go with a MSI or Sapphire 390 just for the 8Gb of vram. They are both good cards but personally I'd go 390.

Good build BTW! Happy building!

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

I like ASUS strix version of 390 more. I know it is loud as hell but I do not mind noise. I ve been playing on 5 years old toshiba laptop that sounds like leaf blower :D What bothers me about amd is temperatures. We do not have aircoditioning in our houses here so in summer it gets rather warm inside so I am kinda worried about thermal throttling on the amd side but 8gb of vram on the other hand is nice even though I will never use it in 900p but will come handy if I buy 1440p monitor. Thank you for your advice :)

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

I like ASUS strix version of 390 more.

big mistake..the asus has heat issues... as pulltabking suggested get the newer sapphire nitro with backplate which is the best 390 IMO. The MSI and powercolor are also good choices.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I would go MSI for their twin frozr V cooling

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

MSI's 390 actually runs pretty hot and loud for a 390 and most 390s turn their fans off when idle or under a light load anyway.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Let's not forget XFX here.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

At 900p, both of these cards are overkill. Might consider dropping down to a 380 or a 960. If you upgrade to 1440p in the future, the 390 is far better than the 970. At 1080p, they're about tied, but I'd personally go with (and already have gone with) the 970 for the myriad of features Nvidia provides.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

@1600x900 A GTX 960 will be more than enough and a lot cheaper, if you're a student on a budget there is no reason to go with a 970 or 390 to play at that resolution. I'm sure you can find other uses for the money

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Both overkill. Drop down to a 380x or 960. There's no need for more at this resolution.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for all the replies. As I mentioned I am planing to buy 1440p monitor in a year or so and I do not think that 960 or 380X are suitable for 1440p high-ultra. (correct me if Im wrong) 390 and 970 fits into my budget really well I can even afford 980 or 390x but in my opinion it is just waste of money and power for 1600x900 to begin with. After I get 1440p and 970 or 390 will be in the sweet spot for me. What about that CPU what do you think about Xeon for gaming?

[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I know that Xeon is i7 without iGPU. What I want to know if it is suitable for gaming or of I7 is better. I am not going to do any video editing just gaming. I know that i5 is a better solution but some games use more that 4 cores now and future games might benefit from hyperthreading so thats why I want to go with i7 or Xeon and Xeon cost same as i5 4690k :)

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, xeons were meant for servers, so......

[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I never said they did......

[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 2 points

+1. The 380x is also a very solid choice.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

which one do you suggest? If i go with 970 500W will be enough I guess.

[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

starts at 90bucks which is kinda spendy for a psu that wont be enough if I add another gpu in the future. It will be more like 120euros where I live

[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

even more starts at 120 bucks :D well never mind thank anyways I will look somethink up on the internet :)

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

The G2 exists and is superior, there is no reason to co sider the GS unless money is a huge issue.

[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

You did, good job on reccomending a great PSU. It really help for lots of people

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube