add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

A NAS is not a Gaming rig.

zoahporre

47 months ago

I love this site, its a great place to plan builds for myself and others, unless you're trying to plan for a NAS, or a HTPC.

Going through the guides there is a LOT of gaming based stuff in the NAS and HTPC areas. There are also a lot of just obvious gaming rigs that are selected as a NAS so they can be seen in more categories. Im not picking on anyone, but as an example http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/CddnTW/4k-htpc this computer only has 250GB of data storage, this SHOULD NOT be under the NAS category, hell the case can only hold 2 drives, yet its the highest rated NAS build.

Im not sure what the solution would be, but something needs to be done here.

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 3 points

I reviewed the build that you posted, and yeah, it is kind of hard to consider it a HTPC.

But in the comments, he tried to let everyone know it was used mainly to watch Netflix, TV and movies on it. So it could fall under a type of Media center PC.

Now i have to strongly disagree with what you had to say about a NAS build. I built a computer a while back that is only to be used as a NAS, The files on it will be on it for years and no reason for expanded Storage space, when it comes time to update the files, the file that are on there will be removed. SO the storage space does not need to be more then what it is. It has a 500GIG hard drive and nothing else, it does have a 1tb, but it is just there for redundancy. There is more then one kind of NAS application

• 47 months ago
  • 3 points

Youre completely right in the fact that there is more than one style of NAS application. Perhaps its just semantics, but when I think NAS, I typically go for something youd RAID, or JBOD at least.

Im not an expert in this by any means, which is why I come here for build guides, but to help other people who are even less tech inclined such as myself, having every tab checked is a bad idea. The one I linked before was just the top ranked, there are other far more obnoxious "GAMING BUILD FOR XXX GAME" in the NAS section too.

• 47 months ago
  • 3 points

Fair enough. Mis labeling is kind of a issue no matter where you are.

• 47 months ago
  • 3 points

Who says a NAS can't be a gaming PC, or two? :) I saw a couple videos on Linus Tech Tips where they did just that. :)

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

quite true, the power of a PC is its multitasking, but I have a gaming PC, hell, it has 6.2 TB of storage. I just wanted an idea of what sort of things to look for when going for a NAS that I could throw in a corner and forget about for everyone else in the house.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahh, I hear ya. :) I've been toying with the idea of building a dedicated NAS as well, but I haven't really done much recently. Among other things, I was considering using FreeNAS, with a ZFS filesystem or something that would need ECC memory, so I was looking at that when I was looking through parts lists. I'd be doing it on a budget, though, so a high-end Xeon CPU would be way overkill for me. Unfortunately it looks like ECC RAM isn't supported on budget mainboards, even though the Celeron, Pentium and i3 CPUs support it. So I could use a Celeron G1840, but I'd need to pair it with something like an ASRock E3C224 board. And I'd be limited to about 32 TB of HDDs due to the 1 GB RAM for each TB storage for FreeNAS and ECC, if I understand right. The Supermicro X10SL7-F for about $265 has a total of 14 SATA-compatible ports (8 are SAS), but it still is limited to 32 GB RAM. Some X99 boards support like 128GB, but at prices like that, and considering cases, it almost seems better to build multiple cheaper NAS boxes, I'm not sure. If I was building around the E3C224, one case I think I'd probably use would be something like the NZXT Source 210 Elite or Source 220. But as I said, if I was building a personal NAS, it'd be on a budget. For example, I'd want my hard drives (If I was buying now, I'd be using the 5TB WD Reds or the 4TB HGST NAS drives) to cost considerably more than everything else combined (CPU, Mobo, RAM, GPU if necessary, etc). If I could get everything except the hard drives and the monitor for around $150-200 total, I think I'd be pretty happy.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > Off Topic" to "General > General Discussion".

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

It can be an 4-in one PC.

It can qualify for all of these.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube