add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
deathfromup

75 months ago

I just read about Valve announcing the SteamOS and im super pumped to play my PC games on the big screen. The SteamOS is a free open source linux based OS for htpc's and most likely a "SteamBox" that valve will sell. I was wondering if anyone could give me some more info on what is needed in a HTPC and maybe a good parts list recommendation for a HTPC under 300.

Comments

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1GQKW

I threw this together. Does it have everything a HTPC for SteamOS would need?. Are the PSU's that come with the case actually usable?

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

it could last a year or two or it could die in a week taking your mobo and cpu with it.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

PSU's that come with cases are generally not very reliable.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

i c, thanks for the input

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

here is the one i'm working on http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1GR5i

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

is this one specifically for SteamOS? or just a HTPC in general.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

Well until Steam's announcement today I had been planning on running Ubuntu Linux but now I will probably run SteamOS alone!

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

cool cool. Do you think that a separate GPU is needed for SteamOS? I was wondering if the main feature that i used was to stream the game form your PC to the HTPC is there a real need for graphics processing besides displaying something in 1080p.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

Hopefully someone will correct me if i'm wrong but I believe the graphics processing will need be done on the end of your HTPC. Your current PC will just stream the game content.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

hmmmm if that's the case i might end up going with the Steambox lol. My PC costs 500 in the first place and it would be a little silly to have another 400-500 pc by my TV.

• 75 months ago
  • 0 points

Well the fact your asking the question leads me to belive you dont think so yourself and you would be right to be worried.

• 75 months ago
  • 2 points

i don't quite understand what you are saying.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube