add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Air Cooler vs Liquid Cooler for Skylake?!

QuickFPS

49 months ago

Ughh its just so hard!!! and will you please include some of the best Coolers for Skylake Air or Liquid?

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 4 points

personally prefer air cooling as it is cheaper for the same performance, and MUCH MUCH quieter.

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

There are other things to consider as well.

One such thing to consider, WITH Skylake CPUs is how heavy some of these air coolers are. While they do not exceed the rated static pressure on the CPU, (same pressure as Haswell btw,) moving and transporting a system around can cause dynamic pressures to exceed limits and damage the CPU. Water/liquid cooling doesn't have that issue as the majority of the weight is secured to the chassis/case instead of the CPU.

Source: Tom's Hardware: Investigating Reports Of Intel Skylake CPUs Damaged By CPU Coolers

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

That is from people wrenching them down too tight, not coolers being too heavy. Air cools messing up boards/CPUs due to weight has been proven false many times.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Perhaps in the past. This seems to be tied to Skylake as it is thinner than in the past (Broadwell is pretty much a no-show for enthusiast builds so no data.)

A German tech website, pcgameshardware.de, did some independent testing and determined that the substrate on Skylake CPU’s is thinner than that of previous generations. As a result, CPU coolers that apply high levels of pressure to the CPU and socket can sometimes damage both, according to the site.

As per linked article:

Arctic did note that due to the potential of being dropped in shipping, the company recommends removal of the CPU cooler for transport. Arctic even recommended that system builders have the end user install the cooler after shipping.

This time it is real, and so far linked to pre-built systems and shipping.

• 49 months ago
  • 0 points

Do you have any real world examples of this happening?Like with pics?

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

What? Are you too lazy to follow the links found on a reputable website? The mentioned article discusses it AND manufacturer responses. You think they'd bother researching and announcing a problem if it wasn't legit?

Intel, CryOrig, Corsair, EKWB, Scythe, NZXT, and Artic have all made a comment either at the time of writing or shortly thereafter on the issue.

Scythe even has a statement on their webpage about the problem.

As for pics, the original German website has some, so FOLLOW THE LINKS. (if you don't read German find a translator.) http://www.pcgameshardware.de/

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

What CPU do you have?

If you're not going to overclock, you might as well just stick with the stock cooler. It's perfectly capable to keep heat in the normal range in most cases.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

im gonna overclock heres my list

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Tn3vBm

• 49 months ago
  • 0 points

Saying CPU would have been fine.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

price range? size restrictions of the case? these must be considered

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

any price range will do its just a preparation and the corsair 450D or maybe stick with 750D or Fractal or NZXT Case maybe Phanteks too

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

in no order, these are some of the highest performing all in one liquid systems:

Swiftech H240-X or H220-X

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate

NZXT Kraken X61

Corsair H110i GTX

Deepcool CAPTAIN 360

Silverstone TD02-E

Cooler Master Glacer 240L Ver. 2

Heres some for air:

Noctua NH-D15

RAIJINTEK TISIS

Cooler Master V8 (not used much anymore but i used to love these things)

CRYORIG R1 Ultimate

be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

Phanteks PH-TC14PE

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

ummm Liquid vs Air?!

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

both... just pick one you like, they are all top end and perform similar... Just make sure they fit your build first as they are all different sizes

my personal favorites are the swiftechs...

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

so umm can u tell me some of the best fans for H110 GTX or for 280 Rads? tnx bud

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Decent list of air and AiO solutions, although not necessarily complete. (i.e the NH-D14 is still a really strong performer.)

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

no, not complete... that would take way too long lol. I just did a fast list based on items this site had a price for... lots of items are out of stock places and no longer show up with a price here, so didnt bother with them. Also only went with ones i was sure about and would consider myself under the right situation.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube