add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is my CPU running too hot?

CrazyCroak05

44 months ago

Hi, a couple months ago I built my first PC. Just recently I've been running into some issues with it turning itself off. I'm not sure why. I did clean all dust/dirt out from the inside using an air can.

im not quite sure what temperatures it should be running at.

http://imgur.com/AwW9nxt

Parts list http://pcpartpicker.com/user/CrazyCroak05/saved/RWJTwP

Comments

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

That's very, very hot. That's what is causing the computer to turn itself off; the temp is reaching the point where it will trigger the CPU to shut down to prevent damage.

Did you overclock?

When you applied the cooler, was there thermal paste on it?

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah there is thermal paste. I am not over clocking it. Maybe I should just get a actual cooler? Besides the stock?

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say so. There's definitely something wrong with the cooler if those are stock speeds.

These are both great budget coolers: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2%2Ccryorig-cpu-cooler-h7/

The Cryorig H7 will perform better than the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO, but costs a bit more. For the G3258, this is pretty much all you should need to keep it cool.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I'm pretty new to this so I wanted to get help before I tried anything that my ruin my computer.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Do I need to also get thermal paste? I know a lot of people don't trust the thermal paste that co,eps on the bottom of the CPU cooler. I also don't even know if either of those come with it pre applied.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

They should come with some thermal paste (if they don't, contact the manufacturer). I haven't used either, but can tell from the Hyper's images, it comes in a tube; I would expect the same from the H7. You will have to apply it then, but it's not hard to do. Just look up videos online; there should be dozens showing how to use it.

As for the stock paste, it's going to work. Except for Intel's paste (which seems to have some issues with it; not the first time I've seen it fail...), they've come a long way and usually provide paste which is adequate for basic/moderate (like 95% of all expected) use. If you were going for some high-end overclock or something, then I would recommend getting paste separately...

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright thanks. My issue was with Intels cooling so it makes sense xP

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

if you can afford the cryorig H7, get it! Its smaller than the EVO and performs better.

BTW it comes with thermal paste... Remember just use the size of a grain of rice on center of cpu, and don't overtighten the screws, when they stop, you stop.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I think your CPU cooler fan is not working either the CPU cooler is not seated very well. can you please checknif you have connected the CPU fan to the motherboard cpu_fan header and if it actually spins?

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah it's spinning. It might just be the thermal paste.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

In that case, try replace the thermal paste, using the pea size application method.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

One error i seem to see a lot, and i made myself once is slight movement while installing the cooler onto the CPU, It only takes a minor movement, so when you do replace the thermal paste, make sure you hold the cooler firmly to the CPU. I just seen the picture and yeah, that is a bit on the hot side.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube