add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

what are some good CAD programs

xdenttim
  • 53 months ago

I have been getting into 3D printing lately and i really want to model some of my own stuff right now im using Sketch up because its free what are some other good one's that are free or at a low cost under $60 USD

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been using Blender for a while and it's working pretty well. It's a bit less intuitive than Sketchup, but has a lot more functionality to it.
And although Autodesk products (AutoCAD, 3DS Max, Revit, ...) are not exactly free, students can get a free copy from the education site.

We also often use Rhinoceros here, but they don't have a free/cheap copy for students so that's not really of any use to you.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I should mentioned that i have AutoCad already just don't really like

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Blender is free

Autodesk does have some free editors out, i cant remember their names, but they exist and are compatible with AutoCad,Max, and their other main programs... some of them are older and can only be found now on sites dedicated to game mods and such now though... guru3d used to host a couple which we used alot back in the day for skinning and modding soldier of fortune 2, so try there. they also allow free use for students with the big versions, as long as you dont use them to earn a profit your ok. There are also a few smart phone/tablet apps that are free or dirt cheap from them.

Cinima 4d used to be good, dont know if they have a free or cheap version though.

also, i found you this link to look at: http://www.3ders.org/3d-software/3d-software-list.html

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I should mentioned that i have AutoCad already just don't really like

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

what dont you like about it? some apps do things drastically different in one aspect or another... AutoCad for instance is much more of a math and command line tool by design, which is ideal for its intended use... but if your doing quick jobs that need to be good and not exacting, theres MANY other methods as used in Blender, Maya, Max, and the many smaller Autodesk programs geared towards game design or hobby 3d printing all do things in different ways

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

i have blender, sketch up, autocad, and ironcad but most of them aren't free i was wondering on free programs autocad isn't free it has a 3 year education contract which is free but to buy the program by itself its expensive. im not impressed with autoCads performance is a good software but is not very fast i have a decent computer amd fx-6300 hex core and Radeon R9 270x OC 4gb edition and 8gb of DDR3 ram at 2133mhz and its super slow and doesn't support a good work flow for me but iron CAD wasn't free but is now my favorite of them is a lot faster and easy not exact as most but very clean i use 3D printing mostly so i don't care if it right on point but i do some free lance work here and then but i guess for the price i paid for AutoCad its not meeting my list of standards i feel it could be better.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube