add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Comments (Continued)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Well if they push Trump to sign it/override him, then China may retaliate economically. Who knows. It's not like we aren't already economically salvoing so that doesn't really change much.

It might incentivize China to back off HK pressures, maybe. But there is a strong incentive for them to keep control. Once you get HK "winning" against the mainland, they lose authority. Now you've lost sway in any future events with Taiwan. Now Macau starts getting ideas. Maybe more citizens of mainland China start thinking outside party dogma, too. China has a lot invested in control.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

It will be quashed by force, eventually. I have no doubt about it. As you said, they don't want these ideas spreading because they appear to work.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

“Well if they push Trump to sign it/override him, then China may retaliate economically.”

I’d be fine with that. I think we need to become more independent of China anyway.

“China has a lot invested in control.”

Which is why this could get real bad, right? It’s a terrible situation all around.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Which is why this could get real bad, right?

Well no the point I was making there is that even if the US makes laws out of those bills, China might not budge. They don't want any cracks in their armor when it comes to controlling their populace. So they might just eat the economic fallout for HK.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I see, quite disappointing.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

It's one of the big reasons there is a large disparity between Democracies and Dictatorships. Anything in between those two extremes doesn't tend to last as it tends to go one way or another. If any sort of authoritarian government lets its weaknesses show, someone will quickly seize power. It's one of the reasons that when the USSR began to loosen some restrictions it quickly reinforced them as it was in great risk of a coup.

Good video on the subject.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Quite the fun video series!

Unrelated, but something just came up that I have to do in a small country somewhere.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube