• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Comments (Continued)

bloodstainer 1 point 17 months ago

That is not how a CPU distributes workflow. 8 chrome tabs means nothing. 8 chrome tabs could mean below 1Gb of RAM to over 3Gb of RAM. And the CPU won't be very taxed by that.

hydraulix 1 point 17 months ago

Dude. You missed the point.

I'm not trying to get into an argument here.

I know what you're saying; RAM has pretty much nothing to do with CPU usage. It's just that chrome in particular opens a thread for each tab, and coincidentally also hogs RAM.

I don't know what you mean by workflow. All I'm saying is a CPU's IPC and throughput comes into play immediately in any workload, while your 9th+ gig of RAM does nothing for you until you've used 8.1 gigs. And hitting that 8.1 gigs usually takes opening many programs at once, something you shouldn't expect from a budget rig. There are instances where 1 program could be bottlenecked by 8 gigs, but those are usually professional or computational workloads. And in those cases, not by causation but chance correlation, the CPU is generally under heavy load as well.

Does that make sense?

Yes, and chrome easily eats 5GB of RAM, that's a single monitor, got another one running a game that's more.

[comment deleted by staff]
manirelli staff 8 Builds 1 point 17 months ago

Please keep feedback polite and constructive.

[comment deleted by staff]
Matthew83 1 point 17 months ago

bf1 will use more than 8 gigs of ram. so will gta v after it's been running for awhile.

if i had to choose between 16 gigs of ram or an ssd, i'd choose ram. just put your computer to sleep and boot times wont matter anyway.

Uhm, no. That would be due to memory leaking via windows. Not the games themselves.

Maybe memory leakage might be the cause in gta v, but bf1 requires 8gb ram minimum and recommends 16gigs. The game is designed to utilize more than 8 gigs of ram if you have it.