Huge satisfaction building first PC for home-office, family videos & gaming.
"Black Magic" (chocolates) denote the variety of components selected & "Tardis" (Dr Who) reflects the implausibly small case housing them all.
Aim : To build a technologically-balanced yet powerful, overclockable, quiet, thermally cool, portably compact and aesthetically tidy, well specced PC with customisable longevity and wide expandability.
Outcome : Modified in stages and arguably portable (weighs like a lead brick), it's a functional joy to use! Delivers around 60FPS at 4K in games tolerably.
Notable Features (unique/value)
- ITX size case (18.5L) for ATX parts optimised for power, performance, storage variety (NVMe, SSD, HDD and Blu-ray) + uncluttered cable management.
- Motherboard of choice to facilitate all components, enable stable overclock and provide wealth of added features.
- Smart design of enormous Noctua NH-D15S to air-cool delidded, overclocked 8700K CPU occupying minimal space freed up for other components.
- 32GB Optane for boot, Win10 O/S & HDD acceleration.
- Undervolted & overclocked Zotac 1080ti Blower GPU for thermal and noise restricted 4K.
- Dual thin Prolimatech 140mm case fans as inputs.
- Aesthetically matched RGB peripherals (Patriot Viper V770 gaming keyboard & Logitech G203 mouse).
- AOC AG271UG, 27inch 60Hz 4K panel with IPS & G-Sync.
- All black cables, Noctua Chromax and EVGA adapter enhance appearance and simplify routing.
Delidded & overclocked (4.8GHz) multi-core 12-thread Coffee-Lake CPU - should last years.
6yr warranty. No fuss air on par with water coolers. Fits FD Core 500 & doesn't block RAM. Quiet (25dB) Keeps i7-8700K 4.8GHz cool (35C rest; 65C max).
Thunderbolt 3 (20Gb/s). Solid overclocking. Underboard m.2 sites Optane plus 5 usable SATA ports for mix of HDD's, SSD's and 5.25" Blu-ray.
Decent quality RAM. Advertised as Corsair but ASRock UEFI recognise as 2 x 8GB DDR4 G-Skill. Clock easily to stated 3200MHz.
Paired to 32GB Optane caching module for formidable mix of quick boot/access/storage at low cost.
Ideal for 18.5L case. Ejects hot air out of back for low temps (35C rest & 65C max 4K gaming). Noise tolerable (45dB max). Overclock max 2012MHz.
Compact, affordable, holds lots of full-size gear. Filters vac with lid on. Front PSU for big CPU cooler & low temps. Rout "out of box" (pic5) for air space.
Silent. 10yr warranty. Overkill power for build upgrading.
This is the flagship operating system - only wished I'd known that I could have downloaded an authentic copy and saved myself about £150 - nevertheless I've got a bona fide version so it's too late to worry about it too much.
Replaced noisier 3-pin Fractal fan at rear of case. Gained 4-pin speed control and "all black" aesthetics.
PC boots quickly. Crisply opens .exe and content files. Low cost storage paired to large HDD. Unexpectedly resilient.